Zurich, which is known for its cleanliness and efficiency, is Switzerland’s most populous city and lies along the Limmat River which flows into Lake Zurich. Many consider Zurich the gateway to the Alps, the beautiful snowcapped mountain range that covers roughly 65 percent of Switzerland. This is also the economic capital of Switzerland and its population consists of nearly one-third non-Swiss natives. Despite the influx of foreign influence there are still some truly unique Swiss things to experience or purchase in the city, including Swiss chocolate, Swiss bread, pastries like Zopf – a braided bread made with milk and eggs – and Tirggel – a hard pastry made with honey and flour. Featured below are a few of our favorite experiences for the cruise port of Zurich, Switzerland:
- Understand the fascinating culture of the Swiss people at the Landesmuseum which traces the country’s history back to prehistoric times.
- Take a trip just to the south of the city to the Lindt & Sprungli chocolate factory where you’ll enjoy a free museum and, of course, a free sample.
- Learn about timekeeping and see amazing Swiss-made watches at the Beyer Museum.
- Stroll through the Botanischer Garten, a botanical garden owned by the University of Zurich, which has 15,000 living species in the garden and three million plants in the herbarium.
- Take a day trip to Flumserberg, the largest ski-resort near Zurich. This resort is a popular recreation spot for the city’s residents.