Come to Lyon hungry. This third largest city in France is the capital of gastronomy for a country known for delicious and rich meals. Lyon is surrounded by two very important wine regions, Beaujolais and Cotes du Rhone. Many important chefs have set up shop in the city and throughout the years the city has a few specialty dishes like cervelle de canu,t which is a cheese dip with shallots, herbs and olive oil, and salade lyonnaise which is simply lettuce, bacon, croutons and a poached egg. The city also delights with gorgeous churches and medieval ruins. Contact our cruise experts for help planning a cruise to Lyon, France.Featured below are a few of our favorite experiences for the cruise port of Lyon, France:
- See beautiful works of art from the likes of Picasso and Rodin at the Musee des Beaux-Arts.
- Discover Traboules, which are essentially hallways between two streets. These structures are very unique to Lyon and their historical buildings.
- Watch a film at the Institut Lumiere, which was the factory of the Lumiere brothers who are now famous for creating the world’s first movie.
- Learn about Lyon’s former major industry, silk production, at The Maison des Canuts and learn about the invention of Jacquard fabric.
- Attend a performance at the newly-renovated opera house with its large glass dome.