The second most populated city in Belgium, Antwerp is most known for its diamonds. The city is a major trade spot for the coveted gem. In fact, 80% of rough diamonds make their way through the city’s borders. Antwerp is located in the North of Belgium closest to The Netherlands and most of the citizens here speak Dutch or Flemish, which is a special dialect of Dutch. Throughout its history, Antwerp has been a major trading center thanks to its location just off of the North Sea. In modern times the city has become a fashion capital, producing a number of acclaimed designers. Contact our cruise experts for help planning a cruise to Antwerp, Belgium. Featured below are a few of our favorite experiences for the cruise port of Antwerp, Belgium:
- Tour the home of Antwerp’s famed artist Peter Paul Ruebens, known for his Baroque paintings in the 1600s. His home includes much of his artwork.
- Ruebens also has pieces at the Cathedral of Our Lady, which is the largest and most grand church in Belgium, Luxuembourg and the Netherlands.
- Stroll through the Diamond District, but be warned, it’s hard to resist the gleam and glare of those beautiful jewels.
- Enjoy a meal and a chat at one of the various cafes or restaurants that line Grote Markt, a triangular square surrounded by beautiful guildhalls.
- Check out avant garde design at Mode Museum, a museum dedicated to fashion that serves as a source of inspiration for many designers.