Rio de Janeiro, commonly referred to as ‘Rio’, is the second largest city in Brazil and the third largest metropolitan area in South America. Rio de Janeiro is perfectly positioned on the edge of the Atlantic with a tropical climate. Cruisers to Rio de Janeiro will be grateful for the fabulous and constant coastal breezes which help moderate the temperature. The city’s coast is most commonly identified by the large Christ the Redeemer statue situated on the top of Sugarloaf Mountain. This landmark is recognized as one of the New Seven Wonders of the World. Cruise to Rio de Janeiro for the incredible beaches, wonderful museums, five-star restaurants and an effervescent nightlife. No matter how you spend it, you are sure to enjoy your time in Rio and leave wanting even more. Featured below are a few of our favorite experiences for the cruise port of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil:
- Enjoy the incredible views as you climb Sugarloaf Mountain. When you finally reach the top you will be awed by the famous Christ the Redeemer statue.
- Rio is home to some of the best beaches in the world, including Copacabana & Leme Beach, Ipanema Beach, Leblon Beach, Barra de Tijuca Beach and Prainha Beach.
- Wander through the Tijuca National Park with its extensive green rainforest. If you’re looking for a little more adventure, hang-glide through the rainforest.
- Samba your way into Lapa, a local festive neighborhood where you can dance to the live music, dine on local cuisine and sip the night away with delicious cocktails.
- If you are lucky enough to be in Rio during the 4-day Carnival festival (dates change every year, so check with our expert consultants), be sure to fully immerse yourself in this once-in-a-life time adventure of samba, parades and endless partying.