Lisbon, the capital of Portugal, has existed for centuries. It began its history under the control of pre-Celtic tribes. However, many of the city’s residents believe that Lisbon was founded by Ulysses, the main character in the Odyssey. Since that time, Lisbon has been under the control of the Romans, the Visigoths and the Moors, before finally coming under Portuguese control in 1147. Today the city is a busy place with a diverse population. Cruise to Lisbon and enjoy the city’s main industries, producing clothes, china, earthenware goods and unforgettable memories.Featured below are a few of our favorite experiences for the cruise port of Lisbon, Portugal:
- Visit Lisbon’s National Museum of Ancient Art to see an amazing collection of paintings housed in a 17th century palace. There is also an array of gold and silver artifacts.
- Enjoy your time in this beautiful city and country with a coffee or lunch at a café that lines that Rua Augusta in the Baixa neighborhood.
- Explore the great outdoors at the Jardim da Estrela, a well manicured public park in Lisbon with a giant Banyan tree as the centerpiece.
- Visit the Pena National Palace, an over-the-top palace designed in 1840 by a Prussian architect. This colorful romantic palace is an incredible sight to see.
- Explore the cobblestoned streets of the Alfama area which has remnants of when the Visigoths ruled the city. Early in the mornings you might find locals selling fish from their front steps.