The thought of Dublin and Ireland usually brings up the image of rowdy Irishmen crowded in a pub gulping down pitchers of Guinness. While the city is definitely a world class location for beer lovers, the Irish are not given enough credit for their wit and guile. Dubbed the Literary City, Dublin has had a rich past and vibrant future in the world of words. For instance, Dublin was home to James Joyce, author of Ulysses, considered by some as the greatest novel. See and experience the best of Ireland on a cruise to Dublin. Featured below are a few of our favorite experiences for the cruise port of Dublin, Ireland:
- Learn about Guinness as you stroll through the Guinness Storehouse where the drink was once brewed. At the end you’ll get a pint of their signature beer.
- See the book of Kells, an illuminated version of the four gospels of the New Testament, at Trinity College. This is Ireland’s oldest college which was attended by Oscar Wilde, Bram Stoker and Jonathan Swift.
- Watch a game of Gaelic football at Croke Park Stadium. Gaelic football is like a combination of soccer and rugby and uniquely Irish.
- Tour a replica of the Jeanie Johnston, the storied Irish emigrant ship, at the Jeanie Johnston Famine Ship Museum. This ship helped transport Irish to the New World when they were seeking refuge during the Great Famine.
- Check out Dublin’s historic and glorious churches, including St. Patrick’s Cathedral and Christ Church Cathedral.