If not for clever engineering, Amsterdam would be under water, wiped off the map. At this time the city is 18 feet below sea level, but the use of dikes and canals has kept the city dry and allowed it to thrive and entice cruisers with its beauty. The city, which flourished because of its craftsman and major trade industries, was always welcoming to foreigners. This open attitude persists today in the legality of and tolerance for some truly adult industries, but this laid back attitude is part of Amsterdam’s appeal. Cruise to Amsterdam and explore this one-of-a-kind city in all its glory. Featured below are a few of our favorite experiences for the cruise port of Amsterdam in The Netherlands:
- Delight in the largest collection of Van Gogh paintings at the recently renovated Van Gogh Museum.
- Be sure to spend some time cruising the country’s trademark canals. If you are looking for romance, take a dinner cruise when lights glisten off the water.
- Diamonds are big business in Amsterdam. Take a tour of a diamond factory like Glassen, where you’ll see a diamond get cut and polished.
- Head to the floating flower market on the Singel Canal where you can find a beautiful array of colorful flowers. You can even purchase bulbs to take home and plant in your garden.
- Attend a concert at Concertgebouw, an acclaimed and stunning concert hall.