Welcome to the “Friendly Island” and one of the most popular cruise destinations in the Caribbean! The island is shared by two nations and is split down the middle into French and Dutch halves with beautiful beaches, nature excursions, shopping, golfing and adventure. As you arrive in port, you will be on the Dutch side of the island which is known for its duty-free shopping, art galleries, forts and casinos. The French side of the island is more secluded than the Dutch half and is known for some of the best cuisine and upscale shopping. With two nations coming together on one island, cruises to St. Maarten are sure to fill everyone’s needs, wants and desires all in one cruising destination. Featured below are a few of our favorite experiences for the cruise port of / St. Maarten, Netherland Antilles:
- Simpson Bay Lagoon is the Caribbean’s largest lagoon and houses many large yachts.
- If shopping is your thing, be sure to browse the shops along Front Street in Phillipsburg, located right near the cruise port.
- With over 30 beaches around the island, there won’t be a shortage for the beach lover at heart. Some beaches worth visiting are Dawn Beach, Mullet Bay, Orient Bay, Baie Longue, Happy Bay and Pinel Island.
- St. Maarten is in the middle of Anguilla and St. Barts, so it’s easy to jump on a high-speed ferry and island hop between 3 of the Caribbean’s most beautiful islands.
- Bird and nature lovers, be sure to visit St. Maarten’s very own Butterfly Farm where you can wander around on your own or join a guided tour.