Cruising to Colombo, Sri Lanka will allow for the opportunity to explore the history of the area as well as indulge in some shopping and beaches. Colombo, Sri Lanka is the capital of the island that offers a diverse and vibrant feel. The history of the area dates back to the 400’s and started as a seaport due to its excellent location on the western coast. On your cruise to Colombo, Sri Lanka be sure to check out the architecture that was influenced by the Dutch, British and Portuguese making for a unique sight. There are also many museums, art galleries, festivals and historic buildings to explore to get a feel of the Colombo culture. Surrounding the historic area are the beautiful beaches that offer an amazing scenic backdrop as well as a place to relax. In the more modern parts of the area you can sample some of the great local food and experience some unique boutiques. Below, we have listed a few of our favorite things to do while cruising to Colombo, Sri Lanka:
- Explore the Central Point, an Economic History Museum that dates back thousands of years.
- See the Seema Malaka Temple, located in the center of town, provides a very serene atmosphere with a lake surrounding this worshiping area.
- Venture into the Colombo National Museum that has a large collection of historic items showing the history and culture of the area.
- Visit St. Anthony’s Church where you can walk through and view the oldest and largest church in Sri Lanka.
- Watch a cricket match take place in the beautiful R. Premadasa Stadium for a unique experience.